Helping parents create a non-toxic, environmentally friendly nursery by doing all the hard research and narrowing down the best non-toxic changing pad.
(This post contains affiliate links. Our full disclosure policy is really boring, but you can find it here.)
When creating your nursery, it is really important to think about the area where you will change your baby. Babies do require frequent diaper changes, sometimes up to 15 a day and it will be more comfortable for you and your little one if you have a raised soft surface to do all that changing.
Your little one will need outfit changes often too, a change table with a soft and comfortable changing mat is a great option for a nursery to make things more comfortable and easier for new parents.
We loved to use to changing mat as a soft and comfortable place to place the baby after a warm bath. This provided lots of room to store all the baby essentials such as moisturizing cream, diapers, rash cream, Vaseline, gum brushing and vitamin D drops! It’s also great if you have access to baby clothes near your changing area as you cannot leave the baby unattended on a raised change table to go and get some clothing.
While you can most certainly change your baby on the floor, over time this can lead to back injury and discomfort as well as knee pain. This is why many parents do enjoy having a higher change table, to make things comfortable and easy for everyone involved.
Having the right tools on hand can make your parenting journey a lot more simple, but sometimes you don’t just want the right tools, you also want the safest and environmentally friendly tools too which is where the best non-toxic changing pads come into play.
Best Non-Toxic Changing Pad
The Naturepedic Organic Contoured Changing Pad is a non-toxic option for your nursery.
It is soft to the touch and has a classic change pad shape with raised edges to keep your baby safe. There is a safety strap and snap screws to easily secure the changing mat to a dresser or change table to childproof the table.
This changing pad has a waterproof cover that is made with organic cotton and biodegradable non-GMO sugarcane plastic. the pad is made with natural cotton which is the best environmentally friendly choice for parents.
The cover can be removed for easy washing in the washing machine.
Overall this is a great changing pad that is made with formaldehyde-free textiles as well as free of latex, phthalates, flame retardants and soy.
Another best non-toxic changing pad is the Keekaroo Peanut Changer. It is easy to clean as it has a solid surface that wipes easily. This limits the growth of bacteria, making it a very safe option for a changing mat.
This synthetic rubber changing mat is water-resistant and cracks resistant which helps stop the growth of mold and deterioration. It is also soft to the touch which makes it nice and comfy for your little one.
This contoured to the baby’s body change mat can accommodate a baby up to 30lbs and comes with a safety strap.
This product is BPA, PVC, Latex, and Phthalate free.
This Contoured Changing Pad is expertly crafted with medical-grade foam, covered in a vinyl- and PVC-free encasement that’s naturally constructed from a blend of medical-grade, stretch knit polyester.
Completely smooth with rounded edges, the pad has no indentations or stitching that can become sources of germ entrapment. Additionally, a safety belt and security strap provide your baby with a comfortable and safe changing space.
For added convenience, the Changing Pad comes with a removable, organic cotton cover. Tailored with a supple stretchiness and elasticated corners, this cover wraps smoothly around the pad’s contours.
Resistant to water, stains and odors, the hypoallergenic, waterproof pad encasement is easily sponge cleaned and can be used in direct contact with the baby while the organic, cotton cover is in the laundry.
The Moonlight Slumber Contour Changing Pad is a non-toxic, UL Greenguard Certified solution for your baby’s diaper changing needs. It’s protected by a waterproof cover and backed by a lifetime warranty against manufacturer’s defects.
The LA Baby 4-Sided Diaper Changing Pad is a 100% organic cotton changing pad that cradles the baby with its 4 high sides.
This is a non-toxic, hypoallergenic option for your nursery that feels luxurious to the touch.
The dimentions of this changing pad are 32″ x 16″ x 4″ so it fits standard changing tables with ease.
There is a safety harness for your baby that has a quick snap release. There is an additional strap that is designed to hold the mat onto the changing table.
There is a non skid bottom to prevent accidents.
Please note that you should purchase waterproof covers before using this mat. It is not designed to repel baby body fluids on it’s own.
More Non-Toxic Changing Products You Might Be Interested In
Waterproof change pad liners that you can toss into the washer and leave your changing pad free of bodily fluids.
Guide To Buying A Non-Toxic Changing Pad
What Is A Changing Pad
A baby changing pad is a rectangle piece of baby equipment that is soft and comfortable to lay down your baby for changing time. You can place it safely on a secure spot on the changing table, or use it on the floor of the nursery.
Features Of A Non-Toxic Changing Pad
When looking for a non-toxic changing pad, there are some key things to look out for to ensure it is truly environmentally friendly and not harmful to your baby.
- BPA and BPS Free: BPA is a monster that we have been running away from for years now and many manufactures have taken steps to no longer create products with BPA in them. BPS is another monster that companies are using less and less, however not as many people know how harmful it is, so some manufactures still slide it into the product.
- Free Of Polyurethane Foam: Most Polyurethane Foams contain fire retardants and are not biodegradable. Sometimes they even emit VOS’s into the environment. We also recommend grabbing an organic crib mattress that is free of polyurethane foam.
- Free Of PVC And Vinyl: Changing pads are mostly waterproof and this leads to using PVS and vinyl lining on the most popular changing pads. PVC is one of the worst plastics and is harmful to the environment. Some changing pads are made with PEVA vinyl which is still not the best option, but better than PVC. A lot of common baby products and bath toys have PVC in them which is why we encourage the use of non-toxic bath toys and glass sippy cups.
- VOC’s: VOCs cause poor indoor air quality due to the different types of chemicals in this classification of chemicals. They often contain formaldehyde which is harmful to all of us, especially your baby. Look for products that are certified Greenguard Gold to ensure your baby’s safety.
- Phthalates: Your baby will have their bare skin on the changing pad and phthalates are endocrine disruptors, so it seems common sense that you would want to avoid placing your little one on such a dangerous surface.
- Non-Toxic Filling: Look for a changing pad that uses organic cotton as a filling instead of foam. You’re going to want to ensure your changing pad is Greenguard Gold Certified to ensure it is truly non-toxic.
Frequently Asked Questions About Changing Pads
Wrapping Up: The Best Non-Toxic Changing Pad
While you might be thinking that a changing pad isn’t needed, or that you simply do not need to purchase one that is more expensive and non-toxic, keep in mind the amount of time your baby will spend on the changing table and how harmful some of these toxins in many changing pads can be.
We included some options for you just in case you wanted to forgo the changing table and change the baby on the floor of the nursery instead. Keep in mind that your back might be sore after so many diaper changes on the floor.(This post contains affiliate links. Our full disclosure policy is really boring, but you can find it here.)